Chronicle of a struggle
Wrestling: Homo Sapiens vs. Cimex lectularius
It often boasts of being the most intelligent creatures of the earth . We painted the Mona Lisa. We built the pyramids. We invented the automobile. And mustard gas.
Thus, the error would be to underestimate your opponent by saying simply: "I evolved monkey, is necessarily smarter than the bugs, lousy invertebrate."
Because nothing is further from the truth. Of course, we must review the concept of idiocy and intelligence according to other criteria than ours. Strictly speaking, the bugs are unable to cognitive processes. They nevertheless adhere to very basic instincts of survival, but bloody well determined. These same drives will severely test your primate brain.
Indeed, despite its 5 mm, your opponent is huge. And roughly cunning.
bugs detect carbon monoxide that we breathe in our sleep several meters away. They will naturally migrate
to another location if they feel threatened.
They also detect heat (hot damn ...) which emits infrared radiation at more than 10 cm apart.
Wrestling: Homo Sapiens vs. Cimex lectularius
It often boasts of being the most intelligent creatures of the earth . We painted the Mona Lisa. We built the pyramids. We invented the automobile. And mustard gas.
Thus, the error would be to underestimate your opponent by saying simply: "I evolved monkey, is necessarily smarter than the bugs, lousy invertebrate."
Because nothing is further from the truth. Of course, we must review the concept of idiocy and intelligence according to other criteria than ours. Strictly speaking, the bugs are unable to cognitive processes. They nevertheless adhere to very basic instincts of survival, but bloody well determined. These same drives will severely test your primate brain.
Indeed, despite its 5 mm, your opponent is huge. And roughly cunning.
bugs detect carbon monoxide that we breathe in our sleep several meters away. They will naturally migrate
to another location if they feel threatened.
They also detect heat (hot damn ...) which emits infrared radiation at more than 10 cm apart.
They will not budge from their hiding place if the host is active, unless they have incredibly hungry. They expect an inertia of at least 15 minutes before going out of their hideout.
Like spiders, they feign death when they believe their lives in danger. They bite
between 3 and 5 am, when most people are asleep. Their bite is usually painless, allowing them to return to their hideout without getting caught by the big ape delightful you are.
short, they are smart.
I won this fight. It ended as a result of successes and mistakes. You, too, someday you'll get there.
I quickly summarizes, for those who have not read my columns the "first encounter".
January 29, 2007. I finally found a bug, and my mother had been identified. Believer Then the carcass is unnecessary, it had discarded.
Corinne Nota Bene: Please, if you find a bed bug, KEEP IT. In fact, keep all the carcasses, feces, everything. This could be your proof. When I kept getting bitten after my first extermination, the exterminator was beginning to be skeptical, because he never saw anything. There was no sign of bugs in my apartment. He even began to doubt whether I have been a day. If you rent, your landlord may also ask to see a specimen.
It is even possible that you do NEVER see it tell you how this evidence is valuable ...
In the weeks that followed the discovery of the bug, I tried everything: wash the sheets in boiling water and vacuum everywhere (in the cracks of the floor, behind baseboards, in the folds of sewing the mattress and box spring, in every corner of furniture). I also asked diatomaceous earth near my bed (to avoid, diatomaceous earth is very volatile and can lodge in your lungs).
Like spiders, they feign death when they believe their lives in danger. They bite
between 3 and 5 am, when most people are asleep. Their bite is usually painless, allowing them to return to their hideout without getting caught by the big ape delightful you are.
short, they are smart.
I won this fight. It ended as a result of successes and mistakes. You, too, someday you'll get there.
I quickly summarizes, for those who have not read my columns the "first encounter".
January 29, 2007. I finally found a bug, and my mother had been identified. Believer Then the carcass is unnecessary, it had discarded.
Corinne Nota Bene: Please, if you find a bed bug, KEEP IT. In fact, keep all the carcasses, feces, everything. This could be your proof. When I kept getting bitten after my first extermination, the exterminator was beginning to be skeptical, because he never saw anything. There was no sign of bugs in my apartment. He even began to doubt whether I have been a day. If you rent, your landlord may also ask to see a specimen.
It is even possible that you do NEVER see it tell you how this evidence is valuable ...
In the weeks that followed the discovery of the bug, I tried everything: wash the sheets in boiling water and vacuum everywhere (in the cracks of the floor, behind baseboards, in the folds of sewing the mattress and box spring, in every corner of furniture). I also asked diatomaceous earth near my bed (to avoid, diatomaceous earth is very volatile and can lodge in your lungs).
Corinne Nota Bene: Throw away vacuum bags after use. The eggs and bugs could navigate.
February 5, 2007. Given that I was always biting, so I resigned myself to call an exterminator.
Corinne Nota Bene: Choose a good exterminator. This is important. I made a few calls before finding someone who took the time to answer all my questions courteously and with such erudition that might have taken it to an entomologist. Although it is tempting to choose the cheapest and who offers a warranty "unlimited" ignores these factors enticing. Mine, in this case, I guarantee the work for a period of three months (given that the eggs take to hatch up to 2 weeks) He told me wary of exterminators who make a so-called "security unlimited "because the bugs - which are very difficult to stop, may reappear at any time and any exterminator would agree to redo the work indefinitely. Others simply do not guarantee.
Corinne Nota Bene: If you are a tenant (and Quebec), note that according to the Housing Authority, the homeowner is responsible if interference . To him, therefore, to defray the cost of extermination.
February 6, 2007. In a moment of panic, I threw my couch and my bed frame. The couch was old and full of folds (so full of hiding places for bugs) and I could not see properly inside my mattress (and therefore other possible hiding places for bugs ...).
Nota Bene of Corinne: Do not throw anything, unless you are convinced that the furniture in question is completely Bug infestation and totally unrecoverable. Indeed, exterminators can treat your furniture with their pesticides. In addition, if you still have bugs in your home after the extermination (alas It can happen ...) and you buy new furniture to replace the old, the bugs may migrate to new purchases ... It
m had said it was preferable to seal my mattress in a large plastic mattress covers, supposedly available in pharmacies, to avoid the bugs that come to live in it. I searched for days without success. So I bought some plastic shower curtains to Dollarama and tried to cover it somehow with these paintings. Result pathetic.
February 16, 2007. The exterminator comes for the first time. He sprinkles ALL baseboards of my apartment, my furniture and lounge room and my mattress. He asked me to empty all the furniture in my room. I washed everything in hot water, and had placed the clothes "decontaminated" in plastic bags with zipper (the same used packaging when buying sheets or blankets). The rest, I had sealed in large garbage bags that I put on my balcony.
Corinne Nota Bene: Notice to Quebecers, the winter temperature in your favor. The bugs die after two days below -20. So you can wash, place it outside in the cold.
Please, for those tempted to do (yes, I have heard this suggestion ...), do not try to close the heating and opening windows for days in hopes of killing bugs cold! In addition to being completely useless (you'll never get a temperature of -20 inside!) may damage the equipment (electronics and appliances) and water lines inside your house.
February 19, 2007. I'm getting bitten again. I cry. Call the exterminator, who said that this is normal. Indeed, the insects must come out of hiding and go to the host to walk in the poison. It must therefore be placed in bait for animals for some time (joie!).
For a few weeks, calm.
March 7, 2007. The Exterminator comes to its control tower. He inspects my apartment, wonder, etc.. He saw no trace. I am glad he is happy. Long live life.
Corinne Nota Bene: If your exterminator is competent and concerned, he should always follow up after the initial extermination.
March 14, 2007. Just return the drama. News bites, new tears.
March 16, 2007. Second extermination (free, because I was always in the famous "three-month warranty). This time, the exterminator is perplexed. He still sees no bugs, no trace of his presence. I think he was the victim of what he calls an "accident" (ie I brought home a male or a female who fortunately was not pregnant). Skeptic and believer myself suffering from a mental illness, he decided to attempt to fumigate my room and my mattress.
Nota Bene of Corinne: Do not throw anything, unless you are convinced that the furniture in question is completely Bug infestation and totally unrecoverable. Indeed, exterminators can treat your furniture with their pesticides. In addition, if you still have bugs in your home after the extermination (alas It can happen ...) and you buy new furniture to replace the old, the bugs may migrate to new purchases ... It
m had said it was preferable to seal my mattress in a large plastic mattress covers, supposedly available in pharmacies, to avoid the bugs that come to live in it. I searched for days without success. So I bought some plastic shower curtains to Dollarama and tried to cover it somehow with these paintings. Result pathetic.
February 16, 2007. The exterminator comes for the first time. He sprinkles ALL baseboards of my apartment, my furniture and lounge room and my mattress. He asked me to empty all the furniture in my room. I washed everything in hot water, and had placed the clothes "decontaminated" in plastic bags with zipper (the same used packaging when buying sheets or blankets). The rest, I had sealed in large garbage bags that I put on my balcony.
Corinne Nota Bene: Notice to Quebecers, the winter temperature in your favor. The bugs die after two days below -20. So you can wash, place it outside in the cold.
Please, for those tempted to do (yes, I have heard this suggestion ...), do not try to close the heating and opening windows for days in hopes of killing bugs cold! In addition to being completely useless (you'll never get a temperature of -20 inside!) may damage the equipment (electronics and appliances) and water lines inside your house.
February 19, 2007. I'm getting bitten again. I cry. Call the exterminator, who said that this is normal. Indeed, the insects must come out of hiding and go to the host to walk in the poison. It must therefore be placed in bait for animals for some time (joie!).
For a few weeks, calm.
March 7, 2007. The Exterminator comes to its control tower. He inspects my apartment, wonder, etc.. He saw no trace. I am glad he is happy. Long live life.
Corinne Nota Bene: If your exterminator is competent and concerned, he should always follow up after the initial extermination.
March 14, 2007. Just return the drama. News bites, new tears.
March 16, 2007. Second extermination (free, because I was always in the famous "three-month warranty). This time, the exterminator is perplexed. He still sees no bugs, no trace of his presence. I think he was the victim of what he calls an "accident" (ie I brought home a male or a female who fortunately was not pregnant). Skeptic and believer myself suffering from a mental illness, he decided to attempt to fumigate my room and my mattress.
Then, nothing. However, I have followed for some time strict measures to prevent .
Slowly, I started to make full and restful nights. I found the sweetness of my home.
Thus ended the battle.
Sometimes, even today, I snuggled into my blankets at night, smug, and enjoying every minute of this delightful interval between appeasement and sleep, this divine moment when we know that nothing can reach us , other dreams. These are the minutes of the most delicious ...
0 comments:
Post a Comment